Pumpkin Cake with Essential Oil of Mandarin
(Standard and Vegan Versions)
200g Ground Almonds
230g Organic -and preferably unsweetened- apple sauce at room temperature (or 4 eggs for the non-Vegan version)
175g Organic Virgin Coconut oil
85g raw honey or same amount of Agave syrup (Vegan)
1tspn ground clove
1 1/2 tspn cinnamon
1 1/2 tspn allspice
2 level tbsp baking powder
3 drops Certified-Organic Red Mandarin Essential Oil
1. Cut the pumpkin into cubes and roast in a hot oven until cooked through. Allow to cool and sit for a few hours/overnight to allow the juices to separate. Discard the juices.
2. Melt and cool Organic virgin Coconut oil
3. If using eggs, whisk them til frothy and then add the 3 drops of Certified-Organic Red Mandarin oil
4. If using the apple sauce, whisk the honey into the coconut oil and then add the apple sauce to the mix. Add the 3 drops of Certified-Organic Red Mandarin oil
5. Add the spices and the baking powder to the ground almonds and mix through
6. Add the almond mix to the egg/apple sauce mixture stirring anti-clockwise as you go!
7. For the finale, add the pre-mashed pumpkin, gently mixing it in anti-clockwise
8. Pour the mixture into a lined loaf tin (you can divide into an individual muffin tin if you prefer but don’t forget to adjust the cooking time to about 25 minutes)
9. Place in to a pre-heated oven, gas 2/3, 160c for 40 minutes then cover with foil for the remainder 15mins or until cooked.
Test with a skewer, it should come out clean.
By Mayella Almazan from Yo Soy Gaia